View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2018, 10:35 pm   #8
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Re: Emitron Camera Tube

Hi

I'd love one of these very early tubes! About two four months ago there was an ebay sale of one of the CCTV cameras as used on the American 'Drones' intended to be flown into the German submarine pens. Yes, the first radio controlled armed drone in 1944/5! An American 4 engined bomber stuffed full of torpex and fitted with two CCTV cameras, one looking at the controls and another out the window. A radio video link to a following aircraft so that a drone pilot could fly the plane. Oh and of course other radio links and servos to operate the aircrafts controls. One of the Kennedys volunteered to fly the bombed up plane before baling out. Sadly the aircraft blew up, there is a good documentary about it.

Anyway all that drivel leads up to my not buying the thing for £300 because the 'postage' was also £300 and possibly the tube would break. BUT what you get as well as the tube are the focus and deflection coils - if you are like me and want the thing to work these are as valuable as the tube!

There are a few people who have restored these cameras and even built from scratch on the web. Sadly if you want one you may need to get them from the states, post war they were sold off for survelliance cameras.

Cheers
James

Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 11th Jan 2018 at 10:41 pm.