Old 17th May 2018, 4:05 pm   #38
philthespark
Pentode

Default Re: European voltage in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Here is the top of the non functioning transformer

Attachment 162940

And here is the other cabinet, presumably containing the switchgear.

Attachment 162941

I have never had the opportunity to see inside this cabinet, but should I expect to see some modern comms equipment in there?

Is the signalling carried over the HV cable?

Is this type of installation common, I don't think I have seen anything quite like it anywhere else.
That cabinet will probably just have some large isolators and fuses in it, a lot of the older ones have a live switching embargo on them, basically they are not to be switched live under any circumstances. I was supposed to be working on one in Doncaster about 3 years back, it was a private sub fed off an 11kV supply via a RMU (RING MAIN UNIT), however because of a live working embargo I had to liase with the DNO, and the railways. It was fed off a circuit that also fed a large railway depot that was being demolished, this sub had to be re-fed from an alternative source. I walked away from the job after the client, who knew sod all about distribution, started trying to dictate how and when it would be done. I got a call from a guy at networks a few months later, the client had messed everyone about that much that in the end the DNO had just cut him off!
Served him right, he had this idea that because he owned the sub, he had some kind of right to be connected to the grid, he was wrong!