View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2018, 10:31 am   #25
peakfour
Triode

Default Re: Telequipment/Tektronix D75 No trace on Power Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
Nice one Bill, good to see it working. Any similar knobs of the same vintage will be suffering from plaggy rot. That's a job for the 3D printer boffin's.

Congrats again, you'll soon have a house full of scopes, Andy.
Sadly I don't have a 3D printer (yet), but I do have a lathe and milling machine etc, so there's scope for a re-made one yet, though it will have to wait a while.

Somewhere, lurking at the other house, I have an old Heathkit single channel, and I think a wartime valve scope somewhere.

Many years ago, I had a Friday evening phone call from a friend; his neighbour had the job of clearing an old boys house out, but had only just mentioned it to Keith. The house was next door but one to both of them; apparently the old chap was a TV service engineer and "a bit of a tinkerer".

I only had something like a 1 1/2 hour opportunity, including travel time, to come and salvage a few bits, before the neighbour was going out. The skip was coming first thing the following morning, and I was due elsewhere in the country on a car rally.

I loaded up some stuff in an already partially full Landrover, which was much as I could do.
I now have large stocks of ex-TV valves, a Wobbulator, and various other broken, and partially dismantled, bits.

One of the things I picked up looked a bit like an old scope; On further investigation after the weekend away, it turned out to be part of the radar kit from a WW2 bomber. I found some photos on the net, which showed it, along with its various ancillaries.
Most, it not all of the kit had been in hit attic, I just didn't know what it was, or have room for it in the Landrover that evening.
Obviously I went straight round on Monday evening, but the skip had gone that morning.

There was a lot of similar vintage stuff, so I've no idea what historical heritage was lost.

Bill