View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 7:15 pm   #12
Stevie342000
Hexode

Default Re: Brenell STB-1 Restoration & Help Needed

Thanks Barry I emailed Bogen some years back I got specifications on the tape heads used in Brenells, this was before your books came out, I probably still have it somewhere.

AHB is not a UK company anymore I think it is part of the Harmon Group, which may account for that (it is common practice to dump companies paperwork when you take them over, often just to wind up the concern and get hands on patents - EMI did it all the time, think Connosseur which was still a going concern when taken over). I sent then a letter way back in the 1980s when I got my first Brenell Mk5 S2 (all gold). I think I got a reply from Frank Underhill (I can not remember his name, I still have it somewhere) or someone that use to work for them he was out in Dorset way.

I have an old spec sheet from Phi-Magnetronics as I think he suggested to write to them.

I wondered if anyone knew of anyone who could rewind the Papst Motors ? But assume it would be expensive. I am surprised that Papst did not retain some information after all they are a German company like Bogen and would have thought that they kept an archive. It may have been at the time that it was stored somewhere but has not been scanned is available electronically. It is the way of things these days (even I am moving towards paperless (as much as possible)), I mean even th BBC does not have records any more it is all on digital storage. It is a cheaper form of archiving and takes up a lot less physical space.

I will add asking questions to Papst, Phi-Magnetronics and Bogen to my list to see if I can elicit any more information.

Last edited by Stevie342000; 22nd Apr 2017 at 7:17 pm. Reason: spelling mistakes