View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2011, 9:59 pm   #20
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: I want to build a stereo headset valve amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
You only need a few 10s of milliwatts in order to drive your headphones to deafening levels.
With that in mind, there is no need to build a valve amp that can output several watts to drive your headphones. In order to safely be used, you would still have to waste nearly all of the 3 or 4 watts that a single ended EL84 or 6V6 could provide.

John
Hi John.
I totally agree with you, but I also totally disagree with you. It's the old story that if you let any thing "tick over" it is likely to last a long time and in an amp that is not driven too hard will give extremely low distortion and high quality audio.
I stick to my guns that one of the best amplifiers is the Mullard 3-3 and I would be shocked if anyone said otherwise, I also stick with my EF37A and 6V6 line up, both the 6V6 and EF37A are legendary valves for long life, low noise and aesthetics.
A 3-3 fed into a proper load and attenuator will amaze!

This thread has spurred me on to build my own stereo 3-3 using 2x 6V6G and 2x EF37A. A silicon HT supply (full wave) with output for speakers and headphone. I should have everything here with the exception of some sheet alloy to make the chassis.

Last edited by murphyv310; 27th Dec 2011 at 10:09 pm.