View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2016, 10:32 am   #12
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: 'THAT' Capacitor. What is it ?

I agree too. It puts far too much emphasis on one component in the eyes of a beginner to the sport. They think, "Oh, change 'that' capacitor, and I'm away, set fixed" - and ironically it may well work loads better with just that cap changed. But the truth is, there's many more waxies in there that will be affecting performance, passing DC. Ok, not as 'dangerous' as the grid coupling cap on the output stage, but still in need of change for optimum performance. CAWOS - 'Change all waxies on sight' should be the war cry, never mind that single one in the grid output valve. Yes I know there are opponents to that approach (why I don't know) but banish those waxies and in one fell swoop and you remove a large amount of potential problems immediately. I suppose proponents of not changing all waxies are die hard originality freaks (no offence meant, each to their own). But don't forget, open up any old wireless and it's likely you'll find period correct, contemporary repairs whereby new caps are just 'dogged' in place of clipped out waxies. So it begs the question, what's original? A set with contemporary repairs (as is needed to function properly) or a set with brand new caps hidden away inside old ones? Worse still, a set where tired, resistive 'border line' waxies are not changed in order to preserve the way it looks? I know what I'd rather have, a set that functions properly with new caps neatly fitted. BTW, I used to re-stuff caps.