View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2018, 7:16 pm   #1
Stuart R
Heptode

Default Lining a Metal Shed

After 15 years, my garden shed has one wall full of woodworm and half the floor has been nibbled away by rodents. Time to find something different.

My local garden centre had a display of metal sheds. I'm sure it would have been cheaper to purchase an old caravan to hide at the bottom of the garden, but access would be tricky. This new shed arrived flat-packed and was assembled for me by the manufacturer.

It's been designed to be 1/3 garden storage and 2/3 hobby workshop, but it's sat here for a few months unused. I need to get it lined inside but would appreciate any tips before I start, there are quite a few threads on wooden sheds, but this is something different.

It's built on a framework of 40x40mm square, steel tubing. Clad in corrugated, plastic-coated metal sheets. The roof is similar but coated inside with a fleecy lining that collects any condensation and allows it to gently evaporate during the day, rather than collecting in drips.

At the moment condensation isn't a problem. I'm not spending any time in there and the roof corrugations leave plenty of space for the air to move around -and Autumn leaves to come in! My plan is to seal these gaps and add a lightweight ceiling, adding some insulation in-between. I'll have to ensure some extra ventilation is added, a friend suggested solar-powered boat ventilators.

The floor is 18mm OSB mounted on top of a 40x40mm box section base frame. This is standing on a bed of paving slabs laid on sand. At this point, I think I'll be told there is not enough gap under the floor to let things breathe. I would have liked to of dug out a deeper space under the shed,with maybe just brick piers to support the framework. Unfortunately the manufacturer wouldn't give any measured drawings to show the base layout.

I have to work with what I've got, so any tips on how to insulate the work area and get the best longevity out of this investment would be appreciated.

My plan is to attach some wooden battens to the steelwork and then insulate with Celotex or similar before lining with ply or plasterboard.

I was thinking of creating a false floor with more insulation (40mm?) laid on top of the original OSB, but wonder if I'd be better of raising the original floor and increasing the space above the paving slabs a bit before I start.

Should I use a vapour barrier on the walls and/or floor? Not sure how effective this would be as the walls could only be done in strips between the steelwork rather than a continuous sheet.

From reading previous shed-lining threads, I know there's a bit of experience here, so would be grateful if anyone could offer their thoughts.

Thanks in anticipation,

SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed front.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	173049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame Assembled side 2.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	173050   Click image for larger version