View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2018, 10:15 pm   #30
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Why both 33 and 45 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I was explaining the limitations of cutting records to my daughter today and how the Rolling stones produced an LP [AFTERMATH] of extended length beyond the usual 22 minutes a side or so [although that was perfect for taping two LP's on C90 cassettes]. I said the Stones had a top class engineer doing the cutting very carefully to maximise the quality. In the end it was a little muddy but other wise very acceptable if not that Hi Fi.
I recall that some of the budget labels like K-Tel and Hallmark used to cram up to 10 tracks onto each side of a 12" album. Unlike the above mentioned Rolling Stones album, those brands didn't really care about quality so their records tended be fairly quiet and sounded a bit flat.

The Elvis Costello and the Attractions album "Get Happy" had 10 tracks on each side but most were under 3 minutes long so the total playing time was about 48 minutes. I had a copy at the time (I now have it on CD) and don't recall any sound quality issues. As with a lot of their music it was quite compressed and unrefined, probably produced with MW radio in mind, so they could get away with it. There was even a comment on the sleeve notes about potential groove cramming, as mentioned on the Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Ha...ostello_album)

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster