View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2013, 5:06 am   #1004
AmadeusMozart
Triode

Default Re: The "Sussex" Homebrew Valve Tester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
Rather than switches for the selection of electrodes etc. I was intending to use a patch bay so I could use a short banana plug patch lead to connect supply to electrode. By using this |I thought that if needed I could also insert additional components.
Mike

I am just about to start collecting parts - have written a PM and an email to Martin for the PCB but no reply so suspect he has been too busy.

I also thought about the patch pad and then stopped to think what I normally will be testing in audio gear. Basically this will be some 9 pin pre amp tubes (12A?7, 9 pin power amp (EL84) and some power octal (KY66, EL34, 6V6 etc)

I don't think I really want to start using octal pre so this brings me to three socket layouts. I like the way Steve Bench did his tube tester (the RAT tube tester) where he just wired them all and no switches and am intending to use that one. Make it more idiot proof so to speak. Any other tubes and one should be able to make some adapter based on going into the octal socket.

I also have a hefty shipping charge for anything heavy from other parts of the world and am opting for buck-boost dc-dc converters for heaters. Likely I will be using a 12V to 220V AC inverter and then rectify that for use as HT.

I want to run the lot of 12V so I can take it with me in the car to some secondhand places and test stuff out on the spot. Easy enough at home to have a 12V supply.
AmadeusMozart is offline   Reply With Quote