View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2019, 8:23 pm   #14
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Mystery labyrinth(?) loudspeakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaam68 View Post
I think they were a semi- transmission line design....yours look like they've been up ended & what would have been the position of the full range driver is now on the bottom?....not sure if practical but I'd be tempted to try & put these back the way they were designed. Supposed to be very sensitive and good for valves. Somewhere I have a booklet with a number of 60's DIY designs including this one. I've seen a couple of unmolested sets come & go on ebay over the years. Unlike a lot of speakers of this vintage they don't look like they take up too much room!
From the link in your post above it looks like they were intended to be positioned horizontally on legs - maybe for use in a mono set-up? A stereo pair would take up a lot of space that way round and it would need a very understanding 'er indoors' to put up with that! Yes, the main drivers are Elac - as Edward predicted. I have by-passed the x-over on one and that seems to have improved performance on the whole. The interior angled baffle is there - so they probably are a kind of transmission line. The bass doesn't achieve the Marianna Trench-like lows of my Radfords but it is accurate and not boomy. Not sure what to with them once I have finished playing about (I have too many loudspeakers already).