View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2019, 5:18 pm   #65
Radio Surfer
Tetrode

Default Re: Tektronix 465b oscilloscope CH1 & 2 issues

Good afternoon from a rather damp and breezy Tiree,

I see plenty of banter on the manual front which is good to see.

On the more mundane matter in hand - contacts - a simple word SUCCESS

The last week has taught me a lot about a small area of the oscilloscope, so thank you to all those who guided me through the maze and fog, I've come out the other end. If only I could wind the clock back I could save myself 4 days of trying to clean these contacts in situ and failing to do so. 3 hours out of the scope today and they are spotless, need my sunglasses to look at them. I've taken a photograph of the bottom set of 10 contacts for anyone that has never seen them "out of the box" (if I can load the picture). There are 5 contacts that Tektronix must have spent hours working out how best to hide from being cleaned. They have more defensive armour than the south coast beaches in World War II. Note the silver metal shroud around 2 of them to prevent an approach from the top with 3 blobs of solder just in front to prevent attack from the front. Another set are hidden behind a screw very strategically placed and the fifth behind a plastic bracket for the cam. And that is the easy to get at set of contacts from channel 2. Channel 1 has the same defensive system, but the added bonus of cam 2 providing complete cover.

My recommendation to anyone in the same boat, by all means try to clean them in situ and you may be lucky. Use a multimiter to work out which pairs are not working and if they turn out to be the bottom sets below attenutaor module 10X take the unit out and save a lot of time and frustration and really get them clean.

Maybe I had a really bad set due to the barn storage for goodness knows how long. Anyway its done.

I've only done a very quick test to make sure I get a response from all settings as I can only turn the cam with extreme effort due to the fact I'm waiting for the replacment grub screws to arrive. I'm not going to attempt using the old ones in case I can't get them back off. Hopefully, Postie will bring them in the next couple of days.

As for initial observations:

1) I think I'm one attenuator module down as I have to swap one over to make it work, but I suspected that already. I'll confirm when I've done some proper testing.

2) The trigger seems a bit odd. When I switch on and use the calibrator for a square wave, the trigger does not automatically work. I have to go to NORM and set the A Trigger manually, then when I switch back to AUTO its fine. It also seems a bit jittery at times, then fine. Any thoughts on likely causes? - don't tell me more contacts somewhere...........

3) All other buttons seem to work, although I do need to learn how to "drive it". I'm going on instinct and memories from school!

What next? Postie brought my new supply of IPA today and I said I'd got 2 more bits in the post, the filter and grub screws, so I can sort those out easily. Do some more testing and prove the faulty attenuator module and then sort out the trigger jitters.

All in all, over the moon........

Thank you once again for all the comments and help, I wouldn't have got here without it. I'm looking forward (I think) on how to tackle the trigger next.

Hopefully, be back soon with some test results once my grub screws arrive.

Regards, Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1094.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	186186