View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2019, 12:59 pm   #61
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Re: Tektronix 465b oscilloscope CH1 & 2 issues

Wow, such a lot of replies!

Firstly, David: mea culpa on the subject of UNC/UNF - I assumed (wrongly) that such a small screw would have to be a fine thread rather than a coarse one. My excuse is that I'm not a mechanical engineer.

Alan: I was a research organic chemist and I think I can say with some confidence that of the solvents that I mentioned, only benzene, toluene and xylene are aromatic hydrocarbons. Acetone, petroleum ether and all of the chloro- and fluoro- solvents are not aromatic. If anyone wants to know, aromatic chemicals must have at least one benzene-like structure within them, it has little or nothing to do with them having an aroma.

Manuals: As far as I can tell, all manuals have the Beaverton address on the front page. I am aware that Beaverton-made Tek equipment serial-numbers start with "B" and that equipment produced in Heerenveen has no first letter (both of my 475As were made in Heerenveen). I think that these serial-number issues have been discussed before on this forum and/or elsewhere, so I won't expand on it. My 475A manual has the part-number 010-2162-00, but contains change information sheets in the back relating to Holland-made stuff (not strictly correct - Holland is a part of the Netherlands, but it may be that Heerenveen is in Holland region).
I don't own a 465 or 465B scope, but I do have both manuals. The 465 manual is #070-1330-00 and the 465B is #070-4273-00. Both manuals have change information sheets for the Guernsey-type scopes.
Richard, in my 465B manual, section 5 is "Adjustment Procedure" and page 5-14 relates to checking vertical gain, volts/div variable range, ADD mode and compression and expansion. No mention of disassembly. Section 6 deals with Maintenance, removal of the attenuator assemblies starting on page 6-14. Incidentally, if you think that the 465B manual is big, the 468 manual beats it hands-down. Two volumes; vol. 1 is approximately 1.5" thick and vol. 2 a modest 1.0".

Regards, Colin.