View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2020, 5:38 pm   #20
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Polyurethane Sanding Question

I think I have “toner” here, though it’s labelled as “dye”. I say that because I have found with sanding it is removed, much to my annoyance!!!

I think I will ditch the poly and go with the lacquer you recommended me David. Here’s why:

After re-veneering the face of the box, I applied the dye, and then a thinner layer of polyeurathane. I left this indoors for a few days and then for several hours in the sun. At thicker points of the coat you could push a thumb nail into it, indicated it still hadn’t entirely cured. I tried wet sanding it with grade 400, the water did help actually - but because the coat was thin, In places I managed to sand away the dye , the polyeurathane however managed to penetrate beneath where the dye did, result being the lighter areas won’t take dye now. ******. Time to veneer again for the third time and get some lacquer that is easier to work with!

Anyway, all a learning experience and exactly why I decided to attempt this on projects I’m not so concerned about!

The sanding sealer has now arrived thankfully, any tips on using this with the wood dye? Other than applying it afterwards? I imagine I might have the same
Problem with this dye if I’m not careful - or use a different product suppose..