View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2019, 6:50 am   #11
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Oh no, my TV22 has failed!

This thread helps answer the question in another recent thread about the TV22.

Definitely the set needs an entire re-cap, the waxies, any other capacitors and all the electrolytics, or a disaster awaits around the corner.

I tend to replace heater bypass caps and screen bypass with dipped silver mica 500V rated parts, the mil spec ones are the best. I ignore whatever the manufacturer put in there and I don't use poly caps for these locations.

Then you will never likely have any trouble. If a heater bypass cap shorts, it could take out non renewable resources, like valves, and heaven forbid, the CRT, though less likely being at the chassis end of the chain. So it really important all the caps are dealt with before the power is applied.

I said "never likely have any trouble", because, no capacitor is perfect. In a batch of mil spec dipped silver mica caps I got a year or so back, one was shorted out from new, I could hardly believe it, luckily I detected it before it was used.

Fortunately, the situation is more forgiving with resistors, and if they go open or high R, seldom does damage result.