View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 7:31 am   #20
beavor-bob
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 405 line colour test transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8vsjDave View Post
It was way back in the early 50’s when my parents got their first Television. It was a Ferguson set, with two control knobs at the front , on/off and volume on one side and brightness on the other side, and of course, BBC only.
One afternoon while suffering from a childhood illness I switched on the television to find a program about the Monte Carlo Rally (I might be wrong about the content, it was a long time ago).
At the end of the program a message appeared on the screen to the effect that the program was an experimental colour transmission. I guess this was a 405 line NTSC test transmission. The date must have been mid 50’s. Does anybody else recall afternoon colour tests around that time?

Dave
Yes Dave, I can remember seeing them too, in similar circumstances. Must have been in the early 1960s. It was certainly some sort of Car race, I remember the music was very striking - I've had a look at some of the material on Utube, but I've not found the correct one yet - be it the Monte Carlo, or Alpine? I do not know. We were living in Stevenage at the time, so I assume it was VHF 405 line, from Alexandra palace - I also remember the early BBC2 tests, on a COLOUR TV, in Stevenage at about the same time, in a shop window - I remember being fascinated, first seeing the Girl doing her noughts & crosses