View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2019, 5:09 am   #80
Catkins
Pentode

Default Re: 1938 Murphy A56V television restoration

That is a very good trick, which I'll try and remember for next time Luckily, the cone on this speaker was still flexible and showed no signs of brittleness.

But I have bought sets with brittle cones, and often times you only know that *after* you've bought it and had it shipped via a courier, only to discover the cone has shattered into many small pieces. At that point there is nothing you can do about it, except be wary next time.

The first time it happened to me was way back in 1997, when I bought a 1930s Philips super-inductance set from Steve Harris (On the Air), and had it shipped via courier. As I said the cone came back in pieces and totally ruined. But since then I have had generally good results with 1930's sets. This one may have been just bad luck.

But, I have found 1920's moving iron speakers to be more brittle, and if you get them sent via courier they invariably arrive with the cone torn away from the movement or worse. It is always better to pick them up in person, or avoid this and buy from an auction or NVCF.

1920's speaker cones in general are as brittle as bakelite and both you should never get sent via courier, otherwise you're simply throwing your money away.