View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 2:34 pm   #12
Sanbeta
Hexode

Smile Re: Sanyo VTC5000 problems when cold only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasejames View Post
Thankyou very much for the detailed post, this is all very helpful and I will of course update.

I have ordered a new idler (which I won't use until it's clear the current one isn't doing its job any more), along with R49 and D6. I will perform the torque upgrade first then work through the other suggestions.

I think this particular unit is unmolested and in good condition. There was "honest dust" on the boards etc when I took the top off and no fingermarks etc, and the belt that snapped looked like it may have been the original. I've not experienced any issues with the tape being slightly loose on eject or anything like that, so I think this is a good candidate to work with (carefully as I don't want to make things worse myself).

I'd rather not have to pull the reel motor apart if I don't have to; I've pulled cassette motors apart in the past and it's never ended well lol. Thankfully they are usually ten-a-penny. Are you suggesting that replacement brushes are available for these motors?

BTW one thing I've not yet been able to work out is how to take out the cassette loader to get to the reels underneath. That wasn't a problem when replacing the belt as it was possible to fettle the belt around the idler, but if I'm going to start taking the idler assembly out this method won't work. Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to sort this? As I say I am loathe to start experimenting with an essentially-working unit that seems in good order generally.
Hi

The motor brush contacts are not available but that will also let you know how much the motor has been used.
The commutator area (that the brush parts make contact with) in can also wear unevenly (depending on the pressure and how well they were assembled when new) and this can cause flat spot's ,(making the motor unresponsive unless given a light push)but is thankfully rare. The top bearing (where the motor haft goes into) also benefits a very tiny drop of oil as this can get dry to and you will hear the motor pick up if so. That can be done in situ.
To remove the cassette cradle remove the three screws to the right(at the base of the cassette holder bracket in silver). One larger at the front and two the same size further back. You will need a magnetized screwdriver with the right sized crosshead (Philips ) screwdriver too other wise you will get frustrated....Trust me.
When those are removed, lightly pull the popped up hatch to the right to allow the metal rod to slide out of the hole to the left and disengage from the geared part. It's should then allow you to lift it up and pivot backwards out of the way.
I am pretty thorough with these and remove spools and brake slider too as these have been sitting for over 20 odd years and used before then, many without any kind of work done at all so do benefit a lot, and it makes using them fuss/hassel free. Which is what we all want.
Also If your tape spools have slots in them and a pivoting right hand tape end sensor you may have issues with a sticking left spool clutch (which on the earlier models was in one piece and prone to this) which will affect the back tension and cause extra wear and picture defects .Sanyo upgraded this half way through the 5000's production run and the later ones were fault free and utilised to the very end of their Beta vcr production. If the right hand tape end sensor is stationary then you have the newer style. For anyone wondering you can change both spools out for the later style (without slots ) which has a separate felt pad clutch base part. (Rob Collis.This is what the issue was with yours that you sent back:shrug

For the record to, IF the reel motor and associated parts have been renewed and refreshed /lubed as stated a L750 should FF and REW in around 4 mins to around 4 mins 15 seconds.If it's over 5 mins 30 seconds it's struggling and not in top shape.
So if anyone who sells these machines quotes a FF and REW time make sure it's with an L750 tape as shorter lengths will always be faster.

Hope this helps........................Kevin