View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2018, 6:05 am   #48
Catkins
Pentode

Default Re: 1938 Murphy A56V television restoration

This should be the last lot of photos showing close-ups of the pre-restoration state.

Photo 1 is the other side of the "bottom CRT mount" showing the focus coil. The visible brown pipe contained the EHT lead, evidently for extra insulation against the earthed metal work.

Photo 2 is a close-up of the RF and Frequency Changer stages. In my first post I gave an overview of the set's state when I got it, and mentioned due to corrosion a number of mica capacitors had already fallen off, and some where on their way, just hanging on with corroded legs or just one leg.

If you zoom this photo in, you may be able to see the two wires on the top-left valve socket (V1 the RF amplifier) where two mica capacitors were, but have fallen off (they're immediately above and to the right of the brown/yellow resistor).

The bottom half of the photo shows the Frequency Changer circuit, the coil on top of the rusty bracket is the oscillator coil, and the bracket contains the tuning/trimming mechanism, which moves a brass rod in and out of the oscillator coil. You should also notice there are tags on top of the oscillator coil (there's 8 in total, but you can see about half). A large part of the Frequency Changer circuit is built on top of this coil, around the circumference. This is obviously to reduce signal path length, as this will be operating at 40.75 MHz. The coil and components are also almost immediately over the Frequency Changer valve socket, obviously again to reduce signal path length.

Perhaps due to the presence of the metal bracket, and the tight packing of the components, this circuit has suffered from a fair degree of damp, and corrosion as a result. You should be able to see that the brown mica capacitor leg is corroded, and in fact broke while I was examining the circuit, If you zoom the picture you also may be to see a blue capacitor which is hanging on by one leg only (next to the Green and Orange resistors). There is also a corroded bare wire next to them (compare that wire to the wire on the mica capacitor sitting in the valve socket, that is almost the only mica capacitor that survived unscathed in that circuit). That is not all I found corroded within the circuit, but the ones visible on that photograph.

Photo 3 is a more zoomed out photo showing the top of the chassis and the dismantling at that point. I have included this photo primarily because in the bottom left hand corner, it shows the coil immediately beneath the oscillator coil, which isn't shown in the previous photograph. That is the sound rejection coil in the cathode of the first video IF amplifier. Again Murphy has built up a (less complex) circuit on top of the coil, and it again suffers from the same problems mentioned previously.

You should be able to see a round white mica capacitor, this has been visibly affected by damp (I should point out at this time I was visually inspecting the set for damaged components and removing them for repair or replacement, electrical tests on other non-visually damaged components will come later as needed).

Photo 4 is a photo of that removed component dismantled showing the effects of corrosion.

The last photo shows the repaired white mica capacitor. A modern component has been inserted and the empty shell filled with putty. It also shows one of the brown Dublier mica capacitors in the Frequency Changer circuit, which could be repaired as there was a nub of wire left to solder a new connection. The blue capacitor is shown before repair, but this was successfully repaired by soldering a new leg onto it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160221_005717.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	174950   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160724_130335.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	174951   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160813_221947.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	174952   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160828_221845.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	174953   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160828_235822.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	174954  

Last edited by Catkins; 20th Dec 2018 at 6:10 am. Reason: forgot to mention what the brown pipe was for