Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2018, 10:38 pm   #191
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Maplin stores

Lately, HMRC have been making noises about how (mostly) Chinese online sellers holding stock in UK are evading vat, and maybe other taxes??
It is also claimed that genuine UK business is unable to compete. I suspect this is true for quite a few of them. Sooner or later there should be a clampdown on the exploitation of our import and tax avoidance. It will make it dearer for you and I, and millions of others, but should help our own genuine UK business to survive on a level playing field. I will not elaborate further, so as to avoid any breach of forum rules regarding politics.
In a way, such enforcement might just possibly have helped Maplin survive.
On a slightly different angle, it amazes me how I bought 2 weller type sponges from China for less than 40p delivered direct from China in 3 weeks or so.
Unfair trade and postal subsidies is all I think is the reason. I realise also that I am part of the problem by buying them! Again, Maplin would never have been able to compete. Maplin is the victim of these unfair imports unfortunately.
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 1st Mar 2018 at 10:45 pm.