View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2020, 9:57 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Philips PM3217 X deflection problem

Good evening,
A little progress though there are some anomalies. the +38V rail is working fine and within its limits. I pulled V1406 and 1407 as I had replacements to hand. Both tested ok and gains were both matched on my Peak semiconductor tester.

There is a confusion which is there a potential divider connecting both of their bases which should generate -8V from the -12V line. This is made up with R1402 and R1414 which are 4.02K and 8.25K. In mine they are 2.74K and 2.86K producing -6.1V and not -8V as the manual states at the base of the 2 transistors. The resistors have been flow soldered at the factory and therefore haven't been changed at some time. Is there any benefit from changing the value of the potential divider?

There are a few other (official!) mods I can see around the X amplifier which don't fit on the circuit diagram including a 330 ohm resistor in each wire to the deflection plates and some extra capacitors.

Christopher Capener