View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2020, 11:31 am   #27
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: BBC news - monochrome man

Thanks you for the kind comments. It was a very interesting experience. There were three of us in my small congested workshop plus a large ruck sack full of communication equipment, which they were struggling with, and the large camera which she had to put on her shoulder when she used it. They could not get a direct link back to the studio so had to go over the cellular phone network using a device which used three or four SIM cards! The talkback facility worked over their mobile phones and seemed to work ok..
All this going on did produce some mobile phone interference effectsa to the pictures on the televisions but it was not to bad.
As for the interview it was a bit of a blur and you did not have time to say half the things you wanted to say.
Most distracting of all during the live broadcast was the delay. I was talking into the camera and to Liz Deacon, one of our more well known local TV presenters, but out of the side of my eye I could see myself on my 20" ITT black and white telly but with a considerable delay. I had to really concentrate on looking and listening to Liz and focusing on the camera.
All in all an interesting experience and I suppose I have enjoyed my few minutes of fame which is already consigned to history.
One final point it was a bit surreal talking about black and white tellies whilst completely overlooking my pride and joy and by far andaway one of my biggest technical achievements my 1971 Decca Bradford colour tyelevision.