View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2006, 12:33 pm   #9
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: output valve choice

Thanks.
Some good advice there.

I dont wanna go down the EL34 route because its too normal. Pretty much every fair sized Marshall out there uses push pull EL34's, and i really dont like the marshall sound.

This is why i'v been trying every single valve i can get my hands on as an output valves. I want to find one that doesnt sound that usual

So far the only sound i'v found that i like is the QQV series. They sound abit colder than el84's/34's and distort rougher.

What paul said about power is true. This is why i gave up trying to create a big amp. After all, even tho the guitarist might laugh at me, it should still work. I think 20W upwords should be good. Just becaus i could have a BIT of fun with it offstage too.

So no serious power raiting is required.

Another valve i'v found that sounds good is the KT61. However, i have a pair of Marconi valves which have been pushed so hard i think theyre emitting xrays . They do sound very good when pushed that hard tho.

I'v experimented with triode power amps (true triode, not a triode strapped pentode) and i think theyre not too bad. So they need abit more drive, but not too much problem there. And the miller capacitence doesnt seem to effect it too badly. But then again i'v only tried a 2.5W triode.

I have 3 big o/p transformers, one from a 6L6 ultra liniar power amp, one from a EL34 power amp and an unknown one that looks big anyway.

Maybe i shoudl try to find some old directly heated valves of about 10-15W plate dissipation.

The current raiting thing is not somethign i'v herd about before. Thats strange. So most transformers are actually grossly overloaded?