View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2018, 8:47 pm   #1
IvorBlister
Tetrode

Default Whiteley Stentorian Factory Fire

Yesterday (31st July) there was a major fire at the old Whiteley factory in Mansfield and the damage looks bad enough to warrant the building being demolished. The classic Whiteley Stentorian speakers were made there as well as many other different pieces of electronic equipment and components for MOD and Post Office Telephones/British Telecom etc.

The factory has been empty for quite a few years after Bombardier took over from Whiteleys and then they moved out. Squatters etc have been in and small fires have been reported at different times. The present owners had plans to convert the factory into 70 flats although there were certain objections to that locally.

Kev (Oldelectronics) and myself worked there, myself from 66 to 68. We were fortunate enough to gain access to the building last year and although it was wrecked inside due to vandalism we were able to walk round and take photographs. We are certainly glad we did as now it is certainly looking like the site is going to be cleared. A sad time but happy memories from 50 yrs ago.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	166899   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	166900