View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2015, 9:55 pm   #79
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Test equipment for valve radio repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireful3 View Post
The slightly controversial item is a 'scope: it's an old not very sophisticated model but I find I rarely use it.
. . . if the 'scope stopped working, I could probably manage quite well.
For the type of kit you are accustomed to working with, I can readily believe that. However, in my case, I've always regarded a 'scope as an essential piece of test gear. Perhaps that's because after many years of employment in the electronics & radio industries, I've been spoilt . In my case, I spend as much time repairing and renovation communications receivers as I do repairing test equipment, plus designing my own items of test gear. For those activities, a 'scope is an essential: at least, it removes a great deal of guesswork; at most, some repairs & design projects would be impossible without one.

In the final analysis, it all boils down to what one does in this hobby - and what can be afforded. Seems to me that the main objective - like any hobby - is to have fun. Yes, I'd love an all-bells-and-whistles RF network analyzer, but have you seen the prices of that type of kit? Ouch!

Al.