Thread: Smoke damage
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2018, 8:24 pm   #15
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Smoke damage

Sorry to hear about the fire, that must be quite devastating. Fire is always a huge worry for me so I try and do a few things to minimise the risks. But some risk will always be there.

I turn off both my benches every night (and during the day if not in use) and I also try and arrange my test gear/appliances such that there is very little in the way of flammable stuff on the shelves above each electrical item. By (easily) flammable I mean books, magazines, cardboard containers, plastic boxes and random paper notes.

Every so often I try and re-enforce this rule by trying to remove anything unnecessary on the shelves as it does tend to build up over time. I also bought a decent size CO2 fire extinguisher and large fire blanket which I hope I will never need.

I've seen some workrooms on eevblog where the test gear is on the lower shelves and there are several shelves of cardboard boxes and paper files and books directly above this. Some even have files/books/boxes crammed directly on top of things like (old) scopes and power supplies. That is the recipe for a rapid firestorm even from a tiny and brief flame from a faulty scope or mains inlet.

I do recommend people take a quick look around to see what flammable items can be relocated to minimise the speed a fire might take hold.