View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2017, 11:02 am   #38
JasonKillbourn
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: DAC 90A Smoothing Capacitor replacement

Well, in the end I decided to play it safe and just desoldered the can and connected the the two 33uF 400v caps (both negatives to the chassis, one positive to the red wire, and the other to the wires that were on the yellow terminal). To be fair, it does sound a bit better, as I am listening to Absolute radio this morning, the reception seems strong (perhaps down to good atmospheric conditions), and, compared to how it performed the other week, it has more volume and the tone is much improved, but the hum is still noticeably in evidence, so I do suspect you're right and it's time to look elsewhere.
Would the smart money be on the UL41 at this stage? I don't think I've really got the equipment here to flash the valve, though someone did mention using the ignition on a gas cooker, which I do have, but I am not quite sure how to perform such an operation?
Also, I did isolate pin 4, but reading back through the replies, there was a mention of isolating pin 3 as well? I ask, as I hadn't seen pin 3 mentioned anywhere else.
Anyway, seeing as I was given the radio for free, and have only spent about a tenner so far, I might splash out, give myself an early Xmas present and buy a replacement UL41, while they're still available, as I imagine I'll be keeping this radio, especially seeing as my kids have fallen in love with it