Thread: Tv62
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2010, 3:35 pm   #77
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Tv62

Hello Chris,
I'm sorry to have to repeat myself here but disturbing the lopt before you have got a picture on the set is playing with fire. It may have a perished top cap lead but that is not important. I'll try to put it in perspective. Imagine getting a car in for service that has been out of use for say 10 years and your asked by the customer who has just bought, it to have a look at it and quote for getting it roadworthy. You then remove the gearbox, rear axle and seats damaging brake lines, wiring and fixing plates just to give them a clean...You would need to get the engine started and see if it moves before you go down those paths.
Your TV62 will fire up fine despite the layer of dust and a few perished leads must be expected. These can all be sorted out when you have some sort of test card on the screen. This is exactly what I did with a TV63 that has been kicking about in my workshop for years and it was straightforward as yours will be if you follow the excellent advice given by Jeffrey and others on this thread. Generally speaking the plug in EY86 is fitted to the slightly later 60 series and the wired in EY51 the earlier 50 series. The tag board wiring is frustrating to work with but this series must be one of the easiest for a beginner to tackle. You will get there but you must refrain from the polishing bit until you get something on that screen! The problem is that items/components get disturbed or damaged and introduce loads of man made faults that are VERY frustrating to trace and correct. This will lead to desperation/frustration and loss of interest. We have ALL been there and that's how we all learn in all walks of life. The set probably worked to some extent when stored away so it just needs a tickle of mains to awaken it. You can clean it's teeth when you have given it some breakfast! Now lets see that screen lit up..
Take care, you wont get a shock and it's a great pity your so far away as you are very welcome to bring it to my workshop in W. Sussex and we could sort it out together.
Regards, John.