View Single Post
Old 6th May 2013, 8:57 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: NVCF - 12th MAY 2013

I think that's the difference between Amateur radio rallies and vintage radio sales. All the amateur radio dealers are already inside with their stalls set up, ready to sell 1p components up to £9000 transceivers. Almost all their stuff is new, second hand stuff is on their stalls at appreciably lower prices and it's mostly traded in items from new sales. There isn't money to be made in buying second hand stuff and refurbishing it for resale. So the idea of letting the disabled gang in first for a quiet look around before the aisles get packed doesn't disturb what gets bought and by whom.

For the vintage radio doo, the problem is that it's got some similarities to the antiques trade and people do find the occasional scruffy 'old master' which after a bit of restoration can turn a profit. So the early bird will pay for a go at the best worms. I made my earlier comment because I was rather surprised by the magnitude of the early entry premium, though in retrospect it makes sense.

As Paul said, these people will be after things that the rest of us would consider too expensive. And we can get plenty of fun from something unknown.

Dealers scenting money would find a way to sift through the stuff ahead of time some other way. It's dangerous to stand in the way of someone propelled by avarice, one is liable to look like a stampede went over.

Oh, there's an amateur radio sale due in Livingston next month, which can be good for components test gear and old military surplus stuff. I'm booked to give a talk which I think is simply a plan to get me out of the way and give everyone else a chance at the junk ;-)

David