View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2019, 10:18 am   #10
Niall76
Triode

Default Re: Need help identifying a pair of Vintage Speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
There are kits which supply only the drivers and the electronic components for any crossovers. There could well be plans, or perhaps just dimensions, given for the cabinet but the actual woodworking is left to the builder. My experience of such cabinets is that commercial manufacturers don't over-engineer them. They use the lightest material they can get away with (sometimes for the good, if the cabinet behaviour is managed as part of the overall acoustic design). Home constructors, however, can be tempted to work with the stiffest/heaviest material they can afford (or lift !). I have come across cabinets like this that would survive artillery bombardment.
You are certainly right, this would survive artillery bombardment, so heavy and strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Shining a light through the grille cloth might reveal more details as to the drivers and their cones. It definately looks Transmission Line to me, but the very basic screw type connectors at the rear seems to rule out factory made units. But just what is the OP using these with - he references the need for an amplifier in Post #8?!
Hi there I did try shining a light through but no luck, I just connected them straight to my Denon mini system. I already have them connected to another pair of vintage speakers and they sound amazing, but when I connected these to the same system they sounded a bit disappointing if I’m honest, which is why I thought maybe an amplifier might work better with them