View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2018, 11:57 pm   #9
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Simple method to mark calibration and functions externally on a case?

There is another way, but its not as cheap as I would like.
A Chinese made engraving machine costs as little as $100 with a laser for printing.
Its OK for small stuff, and as the machine gets larger so does the price.
I dont know anything about Windows, but I use LinuxCNC which is an operating system specifically designed to run engraving machines, CNC routers, CNC milling machines, and CNC lathes. I have successfully adapted a number of old dedicated engraving machines into CNC milling machines.
I make a lot of amplifiers ( guitar and Hi-Fi ) and its mandatory to have a pretty front panel.
LinuxCNC runs LibreCAD ( free) and there is a converter free as well to convert your drawing into G-Code. You just draw the panel according to what size you need, containing all the labels and scales that you require. Print it out on paper and check it fits your box, cabinet or meter face ( yes I make meter faces/scales with LibreCAD ).
Then run your drawing through G-Code ( thats the hard part, YOU have to write that code) and feed it to your engraving machine.

There are kits for serious face plate makers, to make up your own engraver. Its not cheap but its also not expensive, depending on how many panels you need.
They come with everything you need, motors, motor drivers, converters to go from a printer port or USB port, and a power supply to drive it all. Its up to you to make an "engraving table" or you can buy one ready to go. Most of these kits can drive up to 8 functions, but I have never made more than 4.

Have a look here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A3-DIY-Desk...0AAOSw9qJaaDNv

Yes one can purchase a LOT of Letraset for that money, but in my experience it starts peeling off immediately, the origional Letraset spray also went grubby after a little use.

Best regards
Joe