Thread: CRT implosion
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2019, 1:46 pm   #64
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: CRT implosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjdm14 View Post
Having grown up in the '80s/'90s I've not had quite the same fun with imploding CRT's (most of them probably popped by Mark by that time! ) but one memorable one that created a helluva bang in my late teens was a c26" set I found in a skip & duly took down the back lanes to some waste ground with a couple of huge rockets (it being November). The rockets were inserted into holes broken through the top of the cabinet and blue touch paper lit, whence I retreated to behind a car door about 50 foot away.

My ears were ringing for a while after and pieces of glass and plastic rained down for a solid 20 seconds, my only regret (apart from the environmental ones now) was that I didn't have the set playing when it exploded!
Haha good one. From this thread, I cannot decide if it's comforting... or alarming to know that as youngsters we were all doing the same sort of thing LOL.

The 'fallout' from this was that I became interested in vacuums, air pressures etc, something that my other school chums were completely oblivious to,they were still playing with toys for heaven's sake.