View Single Post
Old 16th May 2018, 6:24 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: ELPICO BSR TD2 - Reel to Reel - Low Volume on Playback

I was given a Elpico tape recorder with the TD2 deck sometime last year and it's probably the same or similar to yours and had exactly the same fault of low volume. As this is all 'audio circuitry' (other than the bias oscillator) it's true that ALL those brown Hunts paper capacitors will need replacing, and it's not often that I say something like that as I don't go along with replacing capacitors etc. for no good reason. I looked at the circuit and replaced a couple of what I considered critical ones and it made quite a noticeable difference. However, it wasn't until I'd replaced all of them that the performance came fully up to scratch. Actually, I've just remembered that I didn't have a circuit for it so I just used the valve data for the various valves and followed it through from there. I seem to remember that it's a bit of a time consuming game to get to the solder side of the circuit board, so if you didn't want to remove the board, you could cut the components out leaving enough of the old leads to be able to clean them up and solder the new components onto them. I think all the main paper Hunts capacitors are HT voltage rated 0.05uf types, so 0.047uf types, or even two 0.1uf types in series will work in each case, but do confirm that these are the actual values, as this is all from memory.