View Single Post
Old 15th May 2018, 11:48 pm   #5
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Firestone TV from ETF auction

The set looks very similar to the Teletone. Looks like a 7JP4 crt, and its associated RF power supply, probably with a 6V6 and 1B3. I have heard that the EHT of these drops over time due to moisture absorption in the tuned winding, but mine did not do this, I replaced the tuning capacitor though with a mil spec dipped silver mica type.

Possibly, this set also uses the line scan deflection generator designed by Faudell & White with two transformers and 1/2 a 6SN7, it might not be obvious from the schematic due to the way it is drawn, this circuit is discussed on page 4 here in a set with a 7JP4:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/Admiral_TV..pdf

Normally , in these sorts of sets, the high voltage required to run the vertical scan output valve, often a 6SL7, is acquired in the lower end of the EHT & focus chain. There were quite a few innovations in these types of sets.

Note that the missing 3 rear controls on the right back of the chassis, would have originally have been mounted on an insulating panel behind and have had plastic shafts or plastic knobs as they are close to EHT potential.

Sometimes, also the insulating material in the 7JP4 socket degrades and the socket gives problems. Easy to get new sockets now on ebay. When I restored my Admiral set there was no ebay I couldn't find a socket in NZ at the time, I had to machine a new socket out of nylon using octal socket pins retained by fiberglass pcb material, it was quite an extravaganza.

Hugo.

Last edited by Argus25; 15th May 2018 at 11:56 pm. Reason: typo