Thread: Eddystone 850/2
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2021, 11:57 pm   #12
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Eddystone 850/2

Hi Tom, hopefully you'll get a reply notification from this forum in connection with;

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/vie...p?f=5&t=402205

Yes, it was often the Eddystone way to use solder as glue for jointing, rather than making a prior secure (twisted-up) mechanical joint. It must have taken a bit of practice to make a neat joint where 3 or more wires needed to be connected together, but it does make repair easier in what are frequently closely-packed sets. Most British practice with point-to-point circuitry was to make a secure mechanical joint before soldering- particularly with professional/military kit, indeed I'm surprised that Eddystone didn't encounter a requirement to do things this way with some/much of their production. There have been previous discussions on this forum in connection with this aspect of Eddystone practice in particular, and some other manufacturers. In general, the joints seem to fare OK over the years, though in the 750 here (a compact dual-conversion general coverage set) two butted joints had fractured and failed where stud-mount caps had been angled toward coil-former tags and bridged with solder- not so good really.

Check the tube pin operating voltages- Eddystone, whilst good at neat and generally sturdy mechanical detailing, did not always use the best passive components and the chances are that there are quite a few off-value resistors and leaky capacitors after half-a-century or so.

Mods, I hope that this slightly oblique way of responding to Tom's query isn't too out of order, whilst I follow Antique Radio Forums, life's too short and otherwise busy to be a member of everything!

Colin