View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2017, 10:31 am   #33
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: AR88 Low HT

Had another look last night, though no time to delve into the bathtubs just yet.

I worked out how to disable the "Trans" feature by shorting two links on the switch, which means I can comfortably use the switch now without the neons getting too excited!

I played with the set a little while and its still working as it was before the 6H6 failure with something on all bands. Band 4 is intermittent but its the range switch that's at fault - will revisit that with some servisol.

3 more Micamolds left in the RF section , plus 1 pink RCA cap, all others I've either done myself or were done a long time ago and replaced with proper MICAs that so far seem good. As advised will check screen resistors, and while I'm at it any other resistors in those boxes. Its a pig of a job so I want to do it once and do it right!

At some point I will need to sort myself out with a proper loop antenna instead of the random length of wire strewn across the floor.

The gearbox works very well, but it sounds like the flywheel sometimes scrapes a little on the chassis. Looking at it there is lots of dust and muck on the gears, so I will have to remove this, soak in degreaser and relubricate it.

Chassis is quite greasy and mucky in parts and will need some washing down, but not till everything else is sorted. I wonder if these machines saw more abuse in amateur radio shacks than they ever saw in the second world war!

Interestingly a lot of it has an almost light green tinted coating on it, tropicalisation I assume. Its different to my LF model which is labelled as having had an anti fungal treatment.

Given the slightly high voltages I checked my mains voltage to find its 250v, a little on the high side and given the highest voltage tapping on the primary is 240v, might explain the higher readings I see.

Oh and one dead dial lamp still to replace!

Thanks everyone for the pointers so far, and for reading my ramblings!