Thread: End of an era.
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2018, 10:35 am   #122
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: End of an era.

I got out of the trade in late 2000 I could see a meteorite size pile of S#ite heading for my fan...
The supermarkets were starting to sell VCRs for peanuts. cheapo brand 21" TVs were under £120 we had a full time video engineer two bench TV engineers and three field engineers. We also had around a thousand rental customers.
I realised that there wasn't going to be much of a market for used ex rental Tvs and VCRs soon and we relied on selling the ex rentals when they were replaced.
Also we had a high turnaround on chargeable repairs. I couldn't see anyone spending money on repairs when the cheapo stuff went wrong..
I realised the writing was on the wall when even pensioners were buying sets and starting to send the rental back..
I managed to sell the business as a going concern. within 3 years the new owners had moved the remaining customers to their other branch and closed the shop. it's now a Polish supermarket...
This meant I missed the delights of the flat panel junk... The painter chip fiasco.. The Philips tubes that went short or flat..
At least I stayed sane...wibble...Inserts pencils in nostrils...

Rich.