View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2020, 11:44 am   #14
Helder Crespo
Hexode

Default Re: Bush TV22 "eau-de-nil" colour for rubber mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
If you were to get ten TV22s and line them up side by side I bet the masks would all be different shades due to fading, cigarette smoke etc. So unless you have a pristine, out of the box TV22 as a reference (I presume you don't), then what is the 'correct colour'? You don't know. So if it was me I'd be less concerned about attaining a perfect colour match (do one's best by all means) but more concerned with getting a good quality, semi-matt finish with a representative, 'middle of the road' colour.
Sure.
I expect the paint to be less worn/faded at the corners of the mask, protected by the edges of the bakelite frame. Once I disassemble it (I haven't yet done so) I'll be able to judge better, but I've seen photos of masks where the colour does seem to brighten up towards the mask edges (once cleaned to remove the dust that also tends to be present along the same edges). UV fading should be minimal due to the safety glass, but there are heat-related and chemical ageing too. All of that stuff. Still, the freshest / more vivid portion I can find in my mask will be my reference. After all, I'm restoring my set, and regardless of changes/variations along production and different ageing rates, it will still be my set with its own particular colour. I just don't want to apply a paint that clearly looks the wrong hue. If I get this right, it will inevitably be a middle of the road colour when compared to other sets. Regarding the matt finish, the eau-de-nil I got is 15% matt, high quality 1k acrylic, which to me looks better than flat matt, so I also totally agree with your suggestion of using a semi-matt finish.
Helder