View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2020, 5:30 pm   #15
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: SMITHS "servomotor" 1111SCM-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

.........If you contacted Smiths, there is the possibility that you might get passed to someone who would help, but most likely in any large formal large business, it would come to official attention and someone would have to estimate the time and cost to formulate a reply. After smelling salts had been administered to the accountants, a terribly nicely written 'terribly sorry, but' reply would be written. The following month would be taken by people calculating the cost of that reply, and by people calculating the cost of that calculation.... ad inf.

Anyway, a lot of what you need to know is out there and freely available. ...........

david
That's not really the way it worked at Smiths. The "official attention" would probably have come from my desk, and I'd have done my best to help. I'd have known one or two senior avionics design engineers who'd have been equally enthusiastic about researching a bit of technical background. No accountants would have been harmed in the process!

Smiths Aerospace, however was sold to General Electric in 2007, so my recollections are unfortunately of little use . A very long shot would be to contact the original Smiths plant at Bishops Cleeve, Cheltenham (now GE Aviation); tel 01242 673333. Ask for customer support and hope you're put through to someone helpful. Your synchro was probably manufactured at Bishops Cleeve, but any knowledge has probably now evaporated due to staff retirements.

An alternative might be to contact the Imperial War Museum. For example, see https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/70000160 . You may well come across a knowledgable avionics enthusiast - you have the advantage that aviation engineers do rather enjoy their subject!

Best of luck.

Martin