View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2020, 4:52 pm   #45
IanG3XYV
Pentode

Default Re: Tektronix 585A issues.

Andy,

If you are still considering a main transformer replacement, I have a TEK585 sulking on the floor of my room at the moment. I got it with no HT supplies which was fixed by getting the time delay to work after finding a resistor that had gone high value. The K600 timer was working but R6000 in series with the K601 coil had gone from 33R to 60R and K601 would not pull in to turn on all the DC rails. I think I had to change a 6080 and 6AU6 as well to get them all in spec.

Anyway, managed to get a trace (or two) and found the 82 plug in was more or less working but after a few minutes the trace disappeared due to the well known EHT transformer problem. It would return after powering off for a while but I've effectively given up on it as I have a 544 working quite well and I'll use the 585 for spares where appropriate. I haven't checked precise details of the differences between my 585 and your 585A but I would imagine the transformer will be the same. It will weigh a ton and I imagine the post would be high but the offer is there...

I had thoughts about using the magnificent transformer (T601) in a high voltage PSU for a linear amplifier but will probably never get round to it. I'm sure it is fine. Pretty sure the CRT is too but wouldn't want to post that!

Ian