View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2020, 8:21 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Dialling Codes from Ledbury area

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Ah, the old "9" codes, it was said you could dial from exchange to exchange using them to get a "long distance" call for the price of a local one. I bet the quality was bad though.

I do remember Cambridge to Royston was 95, and to Ely 98.
There was more often than not, barring on the incoming group to routes going out to a 'non-adjacent' group. For instance if I dialled 93 from Mold(0352) to reach Wrexham (0978) then tried to dial 94 to reach Oswestry(0691) on the far side of Wrexham, the routing was barred. However if I dialled 93 then say 81 for a UAX off Wrexham (which was allowed to dial to Oswestry) the 9 to get back into Wrexham followed by 94 - it got around the incoming barring on the route from Mold.

On CNet, we haven't got quite that level of barring, and I do know someone who dialled in excess of 70 digits all around North and Mid Wales on the various 'junction' routes and back to his other telephone - but with modern technology, there was no loss of speech quality

Odd that I've never seen anything with the 9X codes from Ledbury and I have a huge collection of old code lists.