View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2023, 2:05 am   #6
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: AEG component identification

Thanks all. I think I've managed to draw out the circuit they're in. This is another of the watch-timing machines I'm repairing. They mark dots on a paper roll in time to the tick-tock and the interpretation thereof can describe what's wrong with the watch.

This one's method of marking the paper is different from the inked rollers I've seen so far, and these components are part of it. The helical roller is on a synchronous motor linked to the beat rate of the escapement under investigation. Its outer rim has a wire around it. A ceramic element with a wire stretched along its summit mounts just below it, and is the final piece of the circuit the AEG parts make up. My guess is that these wires arc or fire in some way to mark the paper.

If the AEG parts are faulty then that could be good news. The mains transformer is making bubbling sounds and as access is very awkward I am not looking forward to unsoldering all the secondaries to see if the fault remains - I'm certain to melt a load of insulation by bumping it with the iron...

The attached diagram shows the AEG parts (ends marked R[ed] and B[lue]) connected to one of the secondaries on the transformer. The two 1µF capacitors are NOS Soviet film types that test perfectly. The other cap is labelled. The part marked 'coil' is the ribbed object at the top of the photograph. The ceramic piece topped with the 'marker wire' is shown next to its mounting point beneath the helical roller in the other photograph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230126_004546.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	272173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230126_004534.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	272174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230126_005010.jpg
Views:	86