View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2019, 8:31 am   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: 1960s Belling cooker- element issues!

Ah, the very same Belling model that we had, and for that matter still have, in our house near Durham. I've always thought of it as among the best looking cookers ever, and we're in two minds over whether to try to find it a new owner just before selling the property or to arrange its last minute shipment to us here in Norfolk (there are a few things still that should be making that journey).

There was once rather a fragile striplight above the hob, which your cooker appears to be missing just as ours is. We had some 25 years' constant service from ours, after I initially had to replace one or two boiling rings: those I used were salvaged from another old cooker of a different make which was being scrapped by a second-hand shop. Standardisation wasn't complete, but quite a proportion of aged rings would probably be compatible with yours, and there must be some NOS ones still hanging around. The grill was more of a problem, usually tripping the RCD after it had been on a little while. I never did get to the bottom of that, but then I didn't try very hard, we weren't much disposed to grilling anything so just managed without it.

Paul