View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019, 9:07 pm   #1
af024
Octode

Default Bell and Howell TQII 1652 16mm projector

Bell and Howell TQII 1652 16mm ‘Filmosound’ Projector woes

Well I suppose it was bound to happen at some point. I recently acquired some more 16mm films and thought I’d dig out the projector, which had been resting, probably for 3-4 years in the back of a cupboard.

I didn’t give it a thought and just applied mains, switched on, pressed the auto feed level and offered up a nicely trimmed film with its leader in great anticipation. Well it only ran the film in probably half way, went very noisy then suddenly stopped (seized) with the motor thrashing away on a stalled belt. Well you can all probably guess what the cause was, yes a split worm gear.

I knew what I was in for – not only in tracking down a suitable new replacement but also in stripping the machine down to fit it.

I luckily came across a fantastic solid white nylon new high spec replacement, complete with an unusually nice larger diameter collar into which two grub-type screws are used to clamp it to the axle. Far better than anything else I’ve seen and exactly the correct dimensions/pitch etc. I promptly ordered one, and whilst I was waiting for it to arrive, I started the strip down.

It was far worse than a video on You Tube suggested. The TQII 1652 seemed to have much more to have to remove e.g:-

• Lens
• All lamps
• Transformer
• Motor
• Sound drum flywheel
• Sound head assy
• Numerous gears
• Top internal bracket
• Shutter bracket
• Shuttle arms
• In-out bracket
• Shutter assy
• Belt
• Pulley
• Worm gear axle bearings
• A cam on the worm gear axle

Of course it’s also really important to mark-up how the sprockets are synched with the shuttle/claw and how the gears mesh with the worm (assuming that they still retain the correct timing following the seizure of course.

For good measure, I even measured up exactly where things were, horizontally on the axle, I’d also put a line around the sound head assy prior to its removal (since that’s mounted through slots and its position need to be reinstated later).

/cont