View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2018, 4:15 pm   #38
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: How much time do you get to work on sets?

I'm semi retired, 3 years to go before a pension, and took equity release to bridge the gap rather than end up working shifts at the Amazon depot. Had a contract before that, lovely place and people, manager who liked to bring people on, promise of stability. Then they took on a new CE, and nearly the whole department, previously considered excellent, were got rid of in various ways.

But so many things happening you can't call it retirement ... yes, backlog of house repairs, an elderly mum who is dependent and developing dementia, trying to earn a little, living on peanuts so everything needs doing by myself. I also need to keep fit and motivated, which involves going out. Spending time with friends who need support for their difficulties. I too have ditched the TV, disappointed in the 'choice'.

A problem seems to be that a project will sit on the bench and be pecked away at. Before it is done something else breaks and bench space is needed.
So the thing on the bench risks getting beyond the threshold of memory, where I forget where I am up to and it's hard to get back to it.
But a project is also therapy, something to develop skill (I am definitely a learner in the early stages), and a stable point in chaos. So some things get finished in a good week.
I enjoy the BVWS events. It's encouraging to meet people with a shared interest when friends and dear ones cannot comprehend it.