View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2018, 5:08 pm   #77
Lucifer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Wiring a desk electric fan.

Thank you for taking the time to relay a methodical and articulate hypothesis of the probable correct wiring of my fan. As I'm sure you have appreciated, the wiring colouring of the 5 core chord I have annexed to the wires emanating from the winding bear no correlation whatsoever to each other. The latter being 4 x black and one brown/white striped, as opposed to grey, brown, blue, black and green// white striped.

I think this fan would have originally been earthed due to its cast iron and aluminium structure. There is also a column built into the base with a screw tapped hole to accommodate an earth wire.

I enclose a primitive diagram of the type I can understand to demonstrate how I have interpreted your diagram.(probably wrongly) Your diagram to me doesn't appear to take into account the brown/white striped wire, now brown emanating from the winding. Again, probably wrongly, I can only see 4 wires emanating from the winding, green, grey, black and blue. The only ref. to a brown/live wire being the one going directly from the mains to the switch. Should this seemingly spare wire also be attached to the switch, or should it be annexed to the mains live wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latest wiringg diagram.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	164935