View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2023, 9:52 am   #14
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Medical stimulator

Quote:
Any date codes on anything (especially the capacitors) to give a date to this thing?
I can see one already: W WH on what is evidently a Hunts capacitor, being week 11 of year 19*2 (the alternative decode of December 1971 is highly unlikely). The PCL83 was not yet in manufacture in 1952 so the likely manufacture year of the unit is 1962.

The Colvern pot might have a 2-letter code and/or there might be an etch date on the valve, to corroborate.
Quote:
Not sure I'd dare try it in person mind you in case that transformer insulation is past its best.
If one is lucky, that smaller transformer is an output transformer from the valve to couple to the patient circuit, which could give a second layer of isolation from the mains and isolation from earth if the HT is referenced to earth. In any case one could run it from an external isolating transformer.

With my curator's hat on, I would be thinking that if the capacitors were sound and it could be operated without getting a soldering iron out, all well and good. But if any parts needed replacing, would what we could learn from operating it justify the intervention in a unit that is probably in 100% undisturbed, as-built condition. OK, we see the DM70 light up and get tingles from it, but is that instructive?

Last edited by Lucien Nunes; 29th Mar 2023 at 10:03 am.