View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2023, 4:18 pm   #1
Phil__G
Octode

Default Zen Z80 editor-assembler for the Grant Searle & RC2014mini/micro/classic

Back in the day I used Zen quite a lot and its long been an intention to port it to the Grant Searle Z80 boards. Its entirely memory based so no disk or external storage is used - Zen itself, your source, the symbol table and object code are all stored in RAM making it ideal for these small retro systems.
I had a head start with Neal Crook's Nascom version from which its derived with lots of mods to better suit the hardware. The cassette save/load is replaced with ascii spooling (familiar to anyone who uses BASIC on these simple boards) and I've added an "X" command, after a successful assembly 'X' will output an Intel Hex format file which can be logged or copy/pasted from the Teraterm buffer. This integrates nicely with the monitor's hex-loader so files can be saved and reloaded with ease, and its phase-aware so takes account of LOAD/ORG differences. I had some good news from Spencer, he's been including my Z80 monitor with the smaller RC's since January.
The document is updated and I've included Zen images at 2800H, 3000H, 8400H and 9000H to suit 32k or 56k (64k) systems.
Given enough memory you can of course have Zen reassemble itself at other locations but memory usage takes a bit of forethought,
usually needing blocks of memory shuffling about
I think this is probably a wrap, I wanted Intel Hex output so Zen now does everything I need, so many other projects to pursue...
When I get a mo I'll list/summarize the (many) changes made in porting from Neal's Nascom version.
If anyone's interested its on the Retro/GrantSearle etc page of http://philg.uk
Proper retro coding on a completely self-contained system!
Cheers
Phil