View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2017, 10:24 pm   #23
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Home brew converter to listen to Satellites, plus capture of Voyager TX by NASA

Of course, many of the Soviet Nuvistor clones have wire-ended connections. I've never used one, but it is probably quite a good idea. If you drill a hole through a piece of copper-clad board, you can sit the Nuvistor in that with the bottom of it just slightly higher than the copper. The leads then come out at 'component height' on the board. That's what I've done a couple of times with socket type Nuvistors. My last Nuvistor project was about a year ago, when Skywave and I were in pursuit of sensitive, wide-range RF voltmeters, an area where outcomes were mostly quite disappointing .

Was it just coincidence that this thread started with a mention of Voyager, and BBC4 showed a truly excellent documentary about Voyager last night?
Don't think I learned much that was new, but sat riveted to the TV. One bit that was new was the last minute panic, prior to launch, which lead to them wrapping lots of wiring in the spacecraft using "Bacofoil" from the corner store just down the road from JPL. They conceded that some standard design and procurement procedures at JPL may not have been "fully" complied with during that activity!

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 1st Dec 2017 at 10:34 pm.