Thread: Having a laugh?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 5:01 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Having a laugh?

I don't consider myself to be a total newbie (the rest of you can judge if that's justified) but I have used the wrong terminology on occasions. And I am sure I will again.... But I am sure that's what you mean.

We were all newbies once, we all had to learn. And we all have different areas of expertise. For example I tend not to reply to threads on common-ish valve radios as I have little experience there. I could work it out from the circuit diagram but other member who have worked on said sets for many years will know just what to check first. Equally, even if I say so myself, I suspect there are few people here with my level of experience on certain classic computer systems.

It appears that some newcomers think

(a) There is only one cause of a particular fault (like no sound at all) and that somebody can tell them what to replace without any further information

(b) There is a magic box that you can plug into a device that then says 'replace transistor Q3' or whatever. And it's right every time

(c) That circuit boards have to be replaced, they can't be repaired. Ditto for other subassemblies.

(d) That capacitors always fail, and that all faults are cured by re-capping.

I must admit I am rather old-fashioned when it comes to faultfinding. What I do is to use test gear to get evidence as to what the device is actually doing. I use the circuit diagram/service manual to work out what it should be doing. I compare the 2 sets of results (practice and theory) and try to work out what could be causing the difference. Sometimes I even get it right...