View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2018, 3:31 pm   #40
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Changing the BVWS

This debate will (already has) generate more heat than light.

To suggest that a name change will give the BVWS more appeal is facile. The demographics of almost all hobbies is heavily skewed towards older people. This hobby will inevitably decline in terms of numbers, because quite a proportion of members - as with this forum - are those who had careers in the now non-existent radio/TV servicing filed and grew up with much of the equipment they now restore and collect.

Apart from not having the inclination, younger people are often in higher deduction, developing careers, and what free time they have, seems to be taken up by social media to an alarming extent. People seem not to have hobbies these days that they are in for 'the long haul', but transitory pastimes.

As I recall, the name change has been discussed by the Society and it has for now, been decided to leave things as they are, but if anyone thinks the BVWS had stagnated or is moribund, a look at the first issue of the Bulletin, and a later one (from a decade ago in 2008) will show how far things have progressed.

Issue one, June 1976:

https://www.bvws.org.uk/publications...letin_01_1.pdf

Autumn 2008:

https://www.bvws.org.uk/download/The...3_Download.pdf

As to the term 'British', I don't see a problem with that. I've just googled 'British Hobby Clubs and Societies' and got 20mill hits.

Here are just a few:

Radio Society of Great Britain
Federation of British Herpatologists:
British Toy and Hobby Association
British Model Flying Association
British Cacti & Succulent Society
Association of Woodturners of Great Britain
British Horse Society
British Printing Society
British Trust for Ornithology
British Koi Keepers Society
British Tarantula Society
Federation of British Bonsai Societies
British Historical Games Society
British Society for Shooting & Conservation
Federation of British Aquatics Society
Brtish 1:87 Scale Modelling Society
British Bird Council
British Falconers’ Club

That in itself isn't a reason to not change, but 'UK' is not in, my view, a good alternative because it's just an acronym for 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.

I'm just so chuffed that since the formation of the BVWS, right to the present day, there has been/is a band of volunteers who - often for many years - have worked tirelessly for little thanks, no reward, and lots of dispiriting criticism from armchair critics, have kept the Society on an even keel, organising auctions and other events, producing the Bulletin, DVDs and books, helping practically and financially with the Museum, and so forth.

As a hobby publication, the Bulletin is outstanding and I dare say it's unrivalled. Lots of varied content in full colour, and little advertising to fill the pages. Like other members, I look forward to its arrival and in the winter months, spend many hours re-reading back copies.

I'm sure that many forum members will have visited the NVCF at one time or another as I have, both as a visitor and occasional stallholder. A truly major event which runs like clockwork. All the security, health and safety, setting out and clearing away of the tables, marshalling, catering and so forth. It all runs like clockwork. And for all of the efforts of the volunteers, the bottom line is that it clears £1,200 after the costs involved. The hobby would be all the worse if those involved concluded that the NVCF and auctions were just too much effort for little in the way of rewards.

Finally, I don't think there is anything that the BVWS can do, or should do, to induce non-members who find fault with the Society to join.

It's their choice and they've made it. I'm OK with that and I'm not having a pop at anyone.